Call To Schedule Your Consultation: call717-260-3527

We Have You Covered:

Providing Reliable Legal Services For Over 43 Years

We Help Your Overcome Land-Development Obstacles

Anyone who has had to deal with their local government to retain land knows how difficult and frustrating it can be. Add “private” restrictions and you can “rip your hair out!”

Restrictions on the use of land aren’t going away anytime soon. Whether it’s a home-based business, adding a pool or a shed, or building a small place to take in an elderly parent, you will have to “get permission.” “Begging for forgiveness” just won’t cut it.

The rules, regulations, ordinances and laws surrounding land use are complex. While the local government will try to “make it easy” for you, often it won’t make sense.

You should have the advice of counsel and/or an engineer (a surveyor or architect) to comply with the rules; but if you do “go it alone,” you must be prepared.

  1. Read any applicable ordinances, legislation or private agreements applicable to your land. Most are online, but surely at any local municipal office or association management office.
  2. Talk to the person responsible for enforcing the regulations. Tell them in as much detail as you can what you want to do – take good notes on their response. If you don’t, ask them to provide in writing, what you must do.
  3. Find other people who have done something similar to what you want to do hopefully close in time to yours. Ask the municipality or association representative for their names and addresses – go see what they have done and how they did it.
  4. Understand your rights, if you are rejected. If needed, contact counsel promptly as time is often very short; the deadlines to appeal or reconsider are quite short.

At Cunningham, Chernicoff & Warshawsky, P.C., we can help you either informally or formally and provide you guidance in dealing with land development issues.

Your future begins now. Call 717-260-3527 to reach us. We are also available via email to schedule an appointment.