If you have been named executor or administrator of the estate of a loved one, you may be considering taking the estate through probate without the assistance of counsel. You may have concerns about the costs of probate representation, or believe that the estate is simple enough that you can handle all matters. In most instances, this is a mistake.
Experience and Skill You Can Trust
At Cunningham & Chernicoff, P.C., our lawyers bring considerable experience to people across central Pennsylvania, protecting the rights of individuals since 1978. We get the results you expect only from a large law firm with the attitude and personal attention of a small law practice. We combine hard work and determination with skill and knowledge to help you get the results you want. Our fees are most competitive to handle estates and our assistance is most valuable.
The Risks of Administering an Estate Without Counsel
The responsibilities of the administrator or executor of an estate can be complex. You will be required to:
- Prepare and submit an account of the assets of the estate — This can be far more time consuming and difficult than you expect.
- Notify all creditors and other interested parties — The failure to properly notify parties can lead to litigation and personal responsibility.
- Pay all final debts of the estate — If you close the estate, but have failed to pay all creditors, the estate may be reopened, leading to significant expense and potential lawsuits.
- Prepare all estate or inheritance tax returns and pay any taxes owed by the estate or the deceased
- Oversee the orderly distribution of property in accordance with the terms of the will
Many things can go wrong during the probate process. You may miss assets when you compile the inventory of the estate property. You may fail to pay all of the taxes. You may have potentially interested parties who question the legitimacy of the will, forcing you to defend the estate in a will contest.
Consult Our Estate Planning Attorneys
For a private consultation with an experienced Harrisburg estate administration lawyer, contact our office by e-mail or call us at 717-260-3527 or toll free at 866-534-4404. We accept Visa and MasterCard in payment of services rendered.